The What it Takes to Be "On Fire" teen essay contest was inspired by Alicia Keys' Song "Girl on Fire."
The contest runs from February 20 through March 6, 2013.
1. Open for contestants in grades 6-12 who reside in or attend school in the City of Dallas.
2. Each entry is limited to a maximum of 500 words. Entries that contain profanity or any derogatory language or do not adhere to style rules will be disqualified.
3. All entries must be written in English and submitted online. Entries will be accepted from February 20 through March 6, 2013. No entries will be accepted after the deadline.
4. All entries will be judged on grammar, originality, creativity and must contain a main idea/theme and a conclusion. All decisions of the judging committee are final.
5. One winner plus one guest will attend a private meet and greet with Alicia Keys and attend her March 17, 2013 concert at the Verizon Theater. Transportation to the concert will not be provided.
6. Two honorable mention winners will receive an autographed Alicia Keys CD and a gift card.
7. By entering, participants certify that the essay is their original work and not a copy of an existing piece and not previously published. Plagiarized entries will be disqualified.
8. By entering, all contestants give permission to the City of Dallas, Dallas Public Library and Radio-One Dallas to publish their written work and any photo taken in connection with this contest.
-- Winners will be selected by the City of Dallas and/or the Dallas
Public Library. Neither Radio One of Texas II, LLC its respective parent companies,
subsidiaries, affiliate or representatives are responsible for the execution of the
contest or for selecting the winner(s) of the contest.
-- By accepting the prize, the winner acknowledges that Radio One of Texas II, LLC has neither made, nor is in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prize or to any portion thereof, including but not limited to its quality or fitness for a particular purpose.
-- The winners will agree to hold Radio One of Texas II, LLC, its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, agencies, officers, shareholders, directors, employees, agents and representatives harmless against any and all claims or liability, directly or indirectly related to or arising from or in connection with contest participation or the acceptance, possession or use/misuse of the awarded prize or any portion thereof, or participation in prize-related activities, including but not limited to any related travel.
-- Radio One of Texas II, LLC, its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates will not assume any responsibility for any changes in the execution of the contest including cancellation of the contest as a result of the occurrence of events not within the control of Radio One of Texas II, LLC, its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates such as, but not limited to, Acts of God, strikes, terrorist acts, criminal acts of third parties or any other causes beyond Radio One of Texas II, LLC's control.
-- Transportation to and from any event venue, meals, beverages, souvenirs and incidentals are the responsibility of each winner and his/her guest.
-- Dates and times of concerts and trips promoted by contest sponsors are subject to change and those changes are deemed to be beyond the control of Radio One of Texas II, LLC. Changes of venue, cancellation of engagements by performing artists, and/or their management may be permanent in nature. Radio One of Texas II, LLC is not obligated to make any effort to find an alternative prize under these circumstances.
-- No substitution of prize is offered, no transfer of prize to a third party is permitted and non-cash prizes may not be redeemed for cash value.
-- All prize winners must sign and date release and waiver forms if requested.
-- Winners are responsible for all applicable taxes associated with the receipt of the prize. Any person winning over $600.00 in prizes will receive an IRS form 1099 at the end of the calendar year for tax purposes and a copy of such form will be filed with the IRS as required by law.
-- Winners must provide valid identification (i.e. via Driver's License, Passport or other valid photo I.D.) to claim their prize(s).