Welcome | Log In

Handout copies of forms 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ (no booklets) are now available at the Central Library and selected branch locations. Please call the Government Information Center at the Central Library (214-670-1468) or one of these branches to confirm availability of specific forms.

Free tax help available Feb. 2 — Apr. 15, 2015

form 1040

AARP Tax Assistance: Feb. 2, 2015 -- April 15, 2015

Mondays, 12 noon - 4 p.m. (except February 16)*
Hampton Illinois Branch 2951 S. Hampton Rd. 214-670-7646
Tuesdays, 12:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.*
Audelia Road Branch 10045 Audelia Rd. 214-670-1350
Tuesdays, 12 noon - 4 p.m.*
North Oak Cliff Branch 302 W. Tenth St. 214-670-7555
Oak Lawn Branch 4100 Cedar Springs Rd. 214-670-1359
Park Forest Branch 3421 Forest Ln. 214-670-6333
Wednesday, 12:00 noon - 4 p.m.*
Bachman Lake Branch 9480 Webb Chapel Rd. 214-670-6376
Skillman Southwestern Branch 5707 Skillman St. 214-670-6078
Thursdays, 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.*
Martin Luther King Jr. Branch 2922 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. 214-670-0344
Thursdays, 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.*
Timberglen Branch 18505 Midway Rd. 214-671-1365
Thursdays, 12 noon - 4 p.m. *
Central Library 1515 Young St, 6th floor 214-670-1468
Forest Green Branch 9015 Forest Ln. 214-670-1335
Lakewood Branch 6121 Worth St. 214-670-1376
Thursdays, 12 noon - 3:30 p.m. *
Preston Royal Branch 5626 Royal Ln. 214-670-7128
Fridays, 10:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. *
Pleasant Grove Branch 7310 Lake June Rd. 214-670-0965
Saturdays, 12:00 noon - 4:00 p.m.*
Grauwyler Park Branch 2146 Gilford St. 214-671-1447

VITA Tax Assistance: Low-to-Moderate Income, Elderly, Non-English Speaking & Special Needs. Free Tax Help is Available from January 31 2015 - April 11, 2015

Saturdays, 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (except January 31, February 14, March 14, and April 11)*
Preston Royal Branch 5626 Royal Ln. 214-670-7128
January 31, February 14, March 14, and April 11, 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. *
Renner Frankford Branch 6400 Frankford Rd. 214-670-6100

* Times are subject to change. Call to confirm date and time.
Individuals must obtain W-2 and 1099 forms from the IRS.

You may qualify for these tax credits!

  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC): A special tax benefit for people who work full- or part-time. If you qualify, you'll owe less in taxes, and you may get cash back. Even if you don't owe income tax you can get the credit. But, you must file a federal tax return. Note that you may be eligible to receive this benefit for prior years, if you have not already claimed it, by filing amended tax returns. For this purpose, the IRS may accept transcripts of your previous year filings, available free of charge from the IRS. You may also request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040. Please allow up to two weeks for delivery. (Note: If you have been eligible to receive this credit, but did not claim it, you may be able to claim this benefit for the previous three years and for this year as well simply by filing amended returns. Tax volunteers should be able to help you in this regard.) For more information, please see the IRS EITC web page.
  • Child Tax Credit: Families earning more than $10,350 may now qualify for the Child Tax Credit -- up to $1000 for each dependent child under age 17! See the instructions for form 1040 or 1040A and attach Form 8812.
  • Child & Dependent Care Credit: If you paid someone to care for a qualifying dependent so you could work or look for work, you may be eligible to claim this benefit.
  • Retirement Savings Tax Credit: If you make eligible contributions to an employer-sponsored retirement plan or to an individual retirement arrangement (IRA), you may be able to take a tax credit.


Tax forms will be available at these locations:


IRS Telephone Assistance

1-800 numbers are FREE calls! It is best to call during the following times: 8:00 a.m.& 3:00-4:30pm. (See also the Taxpayer Assistance Centers in Farmers Branch, Desoto and in downtown Dallas. There is one number for these offices: 214-413-6010.)

  • Tele-Tax (recorded information) / 1-800-829-4477
  • Tax Information & Notice Inquiries / 1-800-829-1040
  • Referral to the Problem Resolution Program / 1-800-829-1040
  • Forms & Publications Hotline / 1-800-829-3676
  • Hearing Impaired (TDD)/ 1-800-829-4059
  • Find a VITA or TCE site near you / 1-800-906-9887
  • Find an AARP tax-aide site near you / 1-888-227-7669


Frequently Asked Questions

Question: How will the health insurance law (Affordable Care Act) impact my 2014 taxes?
Answer: There are a number of resources available to those seeking to understand how the Affordable Care Act will affect their taxes this year. The IRS has prepared a free publication which is available, along with other useful information, on their Affordable Care Act homepage. In addition, there are several other government resources available, as well as a number of unofficial explanations.

Question: What current tax forms are available at the Dallas Public Library?
Answer: The Government Information Center, (Central Library, 6th floor) will have reproducible copies of basic schedules and forms. Handout copies for 2014 tax forms are limited to the 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ forms and will be available at the Central Library and selected branch locations. Call our service desk at 214-670-1468 or one of these branches to inquire about specific forms.

Question: Where can I obtain older tax forms and instruction booklets?
The Government Information Center (Central Library, 6th floor) has most 1040 series forms, schedules and booklets between 1989 and the present. (We also have a few forms and booklets from 1984-88.) The IRS has online all forms and publications since1992.

Question: How does the IRS Forms & Publications Hotline (1-800-829-3676) work?
You may request free forms or publications which are then sent to you by postal mail. Please allow up to 10 days to receive these. (Alternatively, you may request forms and publications by fax at 1-703-368-9694.)

Question: Can you supply me with a W2 form?
: W2 forms, which indicate how much you earned and how much tax has been withheld from your pay during the year, must be obtained from your employer. If you are unable to get one from your employer by Feb. 14th, follow these instructions.

Question: Why does the library not supply copies of certain forms?
Answer: Employers who use the multi-part forms (i.e. all series of Forms W-2, W-3, 1096, 1098, 1099, and 5498) should note that these forms may not be printed from the IRS website and are not available in libraries or IRS regional offices. Copies may be ordered online from the IRS. However, please note that forms W-2, W-3, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, and 5498 series obtained through the IRS are "non-continuous feed, carbonless, non-laser forms". (These must be filled out by hand, with a typewriter or a dot-matrix printer.)

The most common of these forms can be purchased in packets of 25 or so from office supply stores in a format that is compatible with laser printers. Instructions for filing W-2 are online at the Social Security Administration's Business Services Online website. (There are also many commercial services which provide you with the ability to file these forms electronically for a nominal fee. Search the internet using keywords like: "e-file 1099 and W2".)

Question: Can I file my taxes electronically (e-file) from the Library?
A list of options is available at the IRS website on this page. Our income tax volunteers do submit your returns electronically.

Question: How can you obtain copies of the tax forms you filed in previous years?
Information answering this question is available on the IRS website. For many purposes, it may be sufficient to obtain a free transcript, as opposed to a copy of the actual return.

Question: How can I find out the status of my tax return?
Answer: Use this webpage to determine whether or not your return has already been processed and mailed to you.